Sunday, January 17, 2010

You too can be a survivor

I am now 59, and have lived through what I thought was the end of my normal existence. I can't say this is over, but what is normal now, is better than anything I could have hoped for. I have many reasons and purposes for putting my problems behind me and focusing on the greater need I can give to my family. As long as I have a reason to keep going, I view this experience as just a bump in the road. You can do this too, if you choose to.

Fortunately,or unfortunately, I now view the world with a different kind of wonder, compassion, and realization, but also with a touch of intolerance and skepticism. Some of this negativity comes from knowing that people don't know what they don't know. They are unwilling to change and look for the good they can do for others, or accept that they are not the center of the universe. It doesn't have to be in a big way at all, but we all have opportunities to affect the world around us, even if it's just to show we care about more than our own little existence.

Maybe this comes from living as long as I have. Anyone this age has seen the same stuff, and different people doing the same stuff (thinking it is an original idea), over and over again. The technology has changed, but the ideas, and the words, and the resulting actions, are just a repackaging and delivery of things repeated again and again. Maybe that's why guys my age get grumpy.

The names and the people may change, but the things they do haven't, since the beginning of time... world leaders behave like children; religious fanatics are out to destroy what they do not understand; rude and selfish behavior to other people on the highway will buy you that extra 5 seconds you need; governments spend more than they have; politicians are corrupt at every level of power; addictions... whether they be to drugs, money, food, power, technology, sex, work, or to other people, are the great equalizers; and theft and murder are the ultimate problem solvers.

Is it just me, or is this just another Groundhog Day?

I am actually very happy with my life.
I just wish everyone else would just smile, be happy, and play nice.

Now I'm glad I got that off my chest, and we can return you to your regularly scheduled program... and I can go watch some football.

No comments: