Tuesday, January 08, 2019

My Polish Connection... or lack thereof

I have a request for anyone out there who might have suggestions or guidance in this type of situation.

I have 50% second generation Polish ancentry, but know very little about that side of my family. I am now the oldest living male on my father’s side. There were four brothers (my father being one of them), but all are gone, While they were alive, they spoke little of their Polish ancestry and I have little further to go on. Two of the brothers were actually born in Poland.

My grandfather’s name was Wojiech (George) Golab. I do not know where he was born, but he was born April 16, 1888. He came to the USA in 1913 and worked as a steel worker. My grandmother’s name was Mary Ann Niedopytalski. She was born July 22, 1889 in Kielce, Poland and had at least two sisters and one brother.
They were married May 1, 1910. My grandfather brought his wife and their existing two sons to the USA in 1926.
Working through the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, they departed from Gdansk on a ship called the Estonia and entered the USA through Ellis Island. My dad and his young other brother were born in Ohio.

I have other details, but they are sketchy and somewhat personal. I’m not certain if any additional information can be found from my Polish connection at this late point in time, but my curiosity has been with me for years. I’ve already been to sites like ancestry.com, but they were of no help. As far as I can tell at this point in time, there will be no further information possible, but I’m thinking with the world connections we now have, there is still a glimmer of hope.


This is the only existing picture of my grandparents and taken around possibly 1936.




No comments: