Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What's the deal with kale?

I've heard about kale for a long time now, but the look of it and texture turned me right off. While on a short vacation (and encouraged by my wife), I decided to give it a try. I was surprised that it wasn't the anti-christ I first thought, plus it had the side benefit of making me more of a "regular" dude.

I decided to do a little research and found out some interesting things about this weird little cabbage. Rather than put everything here, I've included several links which do a better a better job of describing it than any summary I could do.

Kales can be classified by leaf type:
  • Curly-leaved (Scots Kale; Blue Curled Kale)
  • Plain-leaved
  • Rape kale
  • Leaf and spear (a cross between curly-leaved and plain-leaved kale)
  • Cavolo nero (also known as black cabbage, Tuscan Cabbage, Tuscan Kale, Lacinato and dinosaur kale)

In the future, I'm going to try to introduce it to some level to my own menu, because what I've learned tells me it's worth doing.

Here are the links for your reading pleasure:

10 Proven Benefits of Kale

The Truth About Kale

Three Reasons Not to Eat Kale

The Dark Side Of Kale

 

No comments: