Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Is teaching children religion brainwashing?

This has been a hot topic for years, but I think it is growing in diverse opinion. I have seen a good many things in this life so far which have colored my views. I was certainly brought up in a religious environment, but outside of church, it seemed like life was very different and contrary to the way they conducted themselves within what I was lead to believe were holy walls. The whole reason for being there suddenly seemed insincere, hypocritical, and sanctimonious. As I grew older and could see things differently and begin to ask questions, my reasoning and frame of reference changed my thinking. I do not actively try to change another's point of view, and I do not try to debate questions of religion. 

We are a product of our life and experiences, and we will do as we believe to be right... for ourselves, but I do not believe it is our charter to paint our exclusive religious slant onto others. There are people I know who are very religious. If they are happy with their life, I have no desire to change this. I do not try to sway their opinion. On the other hand, I feel my life is unburdened without the strings of religion pulling me in its direction. 

I have learned to look at the larger picture, be open to all things and all knowledge or evidence... but I firmly believe this starts when we are young. Let a child's mind be free to explore... to ask questions... to view their life as an open book, unencumbered by any dogma their parents seek to form their mind. Only this way can we give our children the liberty to break free of ancient fears of the unknown and awkward ignorance.

Of course you must decide for yourself what is best for you, just don't let your own sentiments cloud the mind of those who look to you for guidance. Only through personal discovery can they realize their true potential.

Is teaching children religion brainwashing?


No comments: