Friday, October 08, 2004

National Day and our Lei Yue Mun seafood dinner


Lobster, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

October 1st was the birth of the New China, in which the National Flag was raised over Tian'anmen Square on October 1, 1949. Since Hong Kong is now part of China, this celebration is also a part of the new Hong Kong. There was a huge fireworks display in the harbor, which we watched from a boat parked in just the right spot in the middle to see it all. It was very impressive.

But before we did that, we had a great dinner at the Lei Yue Mun Restaurant. To get there we had to walk back past dozens of small restaurants and fish markets. In the tanks displayed along the walkway was some the most interesting fish and sea creatures I'd ever seen. Some of the fish were big enough to feed ten to fifteen people. These lobsters were huge, with bodies easily as large as my upper arm.


CuttleFish, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

I wonder if these cuttle fish know they are on tonight's menu for someone? I've had dried cuttle fish long ago, but seeing them in the tank looking back at me gave me a curious feeling. Watched too many programs on the Discovery Channel I guess.

No comments: