Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Smartphone and driving: A bad mixture

I was coming home from a short trip the other day and there was a car going a little slower in the right-hand lane. As we got further from the intersection, this car cross over the bike lane and very nearly crashed into the curb. As I drove by this person, I could see that it was a young girl, still texting on her smartphone, apparently unmoved by the fact that she nearly crashed her car into the curb.

I couldn't believe what I had witnessed. This girl was seemingly oblivious to the danger she was causing to herself and the people around her, because using her smartphone to talk to someone else was more important. As a driver in another car there was nothing I could do, but what I wanted to do was pull her over and knock some sense into her, or at the very least report her for her dangerous driving tactics.

I don't own a smartphone and have no intention of owning one in the future. Seeing things like this on an everyday basis makes me even more set against them. I know I have to devote even more attention of my driving time to be on the lookout for people like this. I have a feeling it's just going to be a matter of time before habits like this is going to eliminate these people or their unsuspecting victims from the gene pool.

If you use a phone while driving, STOP IT. Wake up, pay attention, be alert. You are driving a mobile weapon, and what you do behind the wheel, affects more than your need to send a text.

If you need any more proof, go here...

Watch the movie clips!
Dangers of Text Messaging and Driving

Texting while driving

Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it?

Be safe. Do the right thing.

No comments: