Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Christmas in Korea


Christmas in Korea, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

A few people have asked me if we are doing anything for Christmas here... if we are decorating, etc. So I thought I would answer that question for everyone. The answer is no.

If we were planning to stay here longer (which we had originally), we might be going to some lengths to spruce up our humble apartment with some holiday cheer. We didn't bring any sort of Christmas decor with us, so this would mean we would have to make some purchases here. Now that we have decided to leave Korea, and are actually in the process of packing everything up in preparation for our departure right after the first of the year, the appearance of decorations for the Christmas holiday is entirely absent.

The picture you see above happens to be the sum total of our obvious Christmas cheer, and this was purely by accident. Sue and I needed some tissues to assist us in recovering from our colds, and this box was the only single one she could find in the store. It does add a curious bit of color to an otherwise spartanly festooned apartment.

It does feel quite strange though. I have always had some degree of Christmas adornment, including a Christmas tree, in wherever I lived in the USA, even when living alone. I remember even having an oddly decorated tree on the aircraft carrier Coral Sea, while I served in the Navy during the Vietnam War.

Just as Thanksgiving had passed us by here without even so much as a whimper, I’m afraid so will Christmas. I have already promised myself that 2005 will usher in a new spirit of Christmas for us, and we will make up for what we have sacrificed in 2004.

No comments: