Thursday, December 09, 2004

Thursday at the movies


BigFish, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

TV here has gotten to be a real drag. I've probably mentioned this before, so I won't rehash the point too much. Even our favorites like CSI are being shown for the umpteenth time, making our evenings a challenge to find something interesting and certainly within the law to do.

Anyway, we wandered over to the little video store down the block to see if there was anything of interest. As we reviewed the selection of English films, which can take all of three minutes (anyone desiring anything in the adult movie category would find their selection more than adequate), we ran across a movie I didn't know much about. Tim Burton's Big Fish was one I had heard of, but avoided for some reason. I don't know why. Well, since it was about the only one we hadn't seen, we brought it home to give it a look.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a blockbuster type of movie, but it was fun entertainment... kind of a silly, fantasy, romantic-comedy, with an interesting blend of characters (I happen to like Albert Finney). It was a nice change from the cop, mystery, conspiracy, heavy CGI, things blowing up kind of movie, and I'm glad we took the chance to give it a try.

No comments: