Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Alien vs Predator


Maxalienpredator, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

Sue and I wanted to check out the brand new theater near our apartment today, so we walked over and bought our tickets to see Alien vs Predator. The theater was actually pretty quiet. Since everyone at that time is either in school or working, we practically had the theater to ourselves. That was nice.

This is the really cool part about going to the movies here. For those of you who don't know this, Korean theaters have assigned seats (I don't know if they are all this way, but everyone I've been to does it this way). They basically sell the best ones first, so if you get there early and get your tickets, you get the best seat you can get for any given showing. No dorking around with getting there and hoping you can find something reasonable (like everyone else is doing). That means you can get your tickets early (like we did), go shopping, get something to eat, get to the show just in time, and plop your behind into the best seats in the house. This is really great when the movie is new and the theaters are packed with people. I love the way they do this here, and it's something I'm really going to miss when I leave Korea and have to go back to the USA way of going to the show.

Anyway back to the movie...
It wasn't bad as movies go, however it's definitely better on a big screen. I enjoyed it, but then sometimes I'm easily entertained. The movie focuses more on the human aspect and less on special effects than I thought it would. As you would guess there is lot of weapons fire and molecular acid flying through the air, but it all contributes to the story. I'm sure the book will do a better job of detailing out the story line than you can catch in a two hour movie, so I might pick this up at sometime in the future just to fill in the holes. I didn't want to be a movie critic or spoil it for any of you who want to see it.

As you can see from the advertisement poster the movie had Korean subtitles, and no... the alien and predator characters didn't speak Korean. They were really too busy trying to wipe the humans and each other out to worry about dialog. Cool!

No comments: