Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The Marx Brothers


marx_bros, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

I have always loved the Marx Brothers. As a kid I watched them on TV along with the Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, and others, but for me the Marx Brothers always stood out as some of the best pioneers of modern comedy.

They have basically disappeared from TV these days, but for those of us who knew of them, they are still alive and well. I even introduced my boys to them when they were small. They probably don't remember them much, but they know they exist, and one day when they have a little time, I'm sure they'll be able to site down and rediscover them all over again.

Anyway, Sue had never really heard of them, and as a way of enjoying them again for the first time, I purchased nine of their movies on DVD, which include Go West, The Big Store, Room Service, At The Circus, A Night At The Opera, A Night In Casablanca, A Day At The Races, Duck Soup, and Horse Feathers. I forgot how much I enjoyed them, and Sue has discovered a new favorite. When I ask her if she'd like to watch a movie, she often reaches for one of their DVDs. It is great that they have restored these to new media, and before I'm finished I plan on having all of the Marx Brothers movies. If you've never watched any of their films, I invite you to check them out, but you need to listen close or you'll miss them at their best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Tink,

I loved them too. Incredible talents. Chico playing piano is my favorite!

Terry T.

Tink said...

I always loved Groucho's one-line quips. If you didn't listen close, they would go right by.