Monday, November 29, 2004

It's just a guy thing...


CraneDone, originally uploaded by tgolamb.

My wife has recently been calling me a country boy in a big city. This is all due to the major construction that has been going on next to our building since we moved in. We can look out our window and track its progress, which is what I've done from time to time. However, since they've been in the beginning stages for so long, it's only recently that the action has picked up.

They laid in some underground structural iron work and I knew it would only be a matter of time before the work picked up some speed. Now there are huge cranes all over Seoul; you can see them everywhere. As I looked at those, I could not imagine how they got those things assembled and working. I'm not a construction savvy guy, but I'm fascinated by the immensity of some of the equipment they use, and I always wondered, "How do they put those things together?"

My wife just sort of rolls her eyes when she catches me scrutinizing the job, but I just tell her, "Hey, it's just a guy thing I guess."

Anyway, they finally piled up the pieces to put up a crane at this site, so I took the opportunity to document for myself just how they do this. In case you were wondering yourself, the above photos should give you an idea. It only took these guys a couple of days to have it up and running, and I was impressed with the way they got it done. I also now understand how they will add sections when they need to make it taller. If I had a hard hat and could speak Korean, you could bet I'd be down there asking all sorts of questions (much to Sue's chagrin).

I made points with Sue though. She was commenting on the new portable cranes they had down there. I took her to the window and explained that those were actually cement pumpers, and described the process of what they were doing. She was quite surprised and impressed with my knowledge of the whole thing, but I didn't have the heart to tell her that this was general knowledge most dudes picked up in "Guy-101". Hey just watch a little of the Discovery Channel, some Home Improvement, bang around a little in your own garage and you're ready to go. More power, yeah!!
I did enjoy the praise though.

No comments: